In every family there is tradition. In our family, tradition frequently comes in the form of food. Mom's cinnamon roll Christmas trees and my caramel corn make Christmas, Christmas. However, orange rolls are on a different level -- orange rolls define events. In other words, it doesn't matter the event, if there were orange rolls there, it was special.
I decided recently that the tradition needed to continue. I made an experimental batch about a month ago using Grandma's six page handwritten instructions. Although they turned out okay, I learned later that I used too much flour. Second attempt -- the day before Thanksgiving. They turned out great, but not quite Grandma's, but the feeling that it was a special day persisted.
Now, the funny part. After hours of rising, rolling, knotting, baking and glazing the rolls. The teenage boy walks into the kitchen and says, "How come orange rolls always turn out in knots?" It took several minutes of different people trying to explain to him that the dough is tied in knots before baking. The kid needs to spend some time in the kitchen!





1 comment:
I am throughly impressed! Not once but twice in one year?! WOW! I only wish I had been there to partake.
Post a Comment