
I've been called a control freak before and, while I'm not as bad as I used to be (hopefully), I don't disagree. I like to control my schedule, where my kids are, how my house runs, etc. I have recently encountered a new shift (love the pun)in the arena of control.
I have become the passenger in a car driven by my teenage son.
My knuckles go white and someday I might put my right foot through the floor of the car. I say things like "slow, slow, SLOW!!!" and "you don't have to swing right to turn left". We leave early for everywhere he drives, because we either drive under the speed limit the whole way or spend ten minutes parking (not even parallel).
He never drives with his younger sisters in the car. Not because I don't trust him, but because they scream at everything he does and freak him out. Last summer was the last time we did that -- they screamed as he did a three-point turn on a dirt road and backed us into a ditch. He swore he was never driving again after that (when he realized that meant mom and dad driving him on dates, he reconsidered).
He's eligible to test for his license in January. At that point, I guess I start worrying about who has replaced me in the passenger seat.





3 comments:
backed into a ditch, huh? I may have done that as well. If by "backed" you mean "intentionally drove straight into." And by "ditch" you mean "large puddle/small pond (either one is accurate)."
I really can't get over the fact that he is old enough to drive. I ran across a photo of "the teenage driver" and me when he was just a few months old. Time seriously flies! Deep breaths and lots of patience should help, right? Good Luck!
Happy Thanksgiving!
Love-A
I'm so not ready for that. Eric has the current assignment of driving with Savannah in the church parking lot. I can't move beyond that yet.
Post a Comment