Saturday, January 17, 2009

Ferries are Real

As children get older, the "cute" things they say unfortunately get fewer and farther between (unless you count teenage sarcasm). However, this week the youngest daughter (age 7) came up with one of the best ever:

The other day my husband was relating to me the story of the Air Bus plane crash on the Hudson. Not yet having seen the story, he explained the pilot's miracle landing and the passengers' subsequent rescue by the fortuitous ferries.

At this point, the enthralled daughter (who we weren't even aware was listening) says, "They're real?"

And I, not seeing her misunderstanding of the homonym, say, "Yes, they are real."

Wide-eyed and joyful girl says, "Oh, I knew they were real, I just knew it!" And runs off to play with friends. Leaving her dad and I momentarily puzzled by her excitement.

As I watched the news stories that followed this amazing event, I thought how not only did these people believe in "ferries", but probably angels, too.

1 comment:

Stewarts said...

Well said Sister, well said. We believe in Faires/ferries at our house too!:)